Translate

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mairin's Daily Life, According to Facebook


Note: I have only recently begun to get to know Mairin, so I have inferred her life based on her likes on Facebook. I italicized the pages she “Likes.”

I wake up to a typical rainy day in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. But, I like watching raindrops race across my window as I silently cheer for them. So, I eat breakfast and prepare to run through the rain to my car. When I turn on the car, an old song sounds from the radio. I just love hearing a song from so long ago and remembering all the memories! In a chipper mood from my car ride, I attend my first few classes. We work on free response questions in Calculus, and they only mention particles traveling along the x-axis. Times like these, I miss the weird names of kids in word problems in math books from elementary school, when I did not have to worry about a mock AP exam. A few periods later, I walk into the Biology room, quickly reviewing the nervous system and cell-mediated immune response in my head. Mr. Ricci’s substitute, who looks younger than the majority of the students in this class, begins to hand out the test materials. He runs up to the board enthusiastically and informs us that we must fill in our name, the date, the subject, and the class period on the Scantron. Right, because I thought I would also take the liberty of filling out my score. Anyway, I begin to fill in the information, beginning with my name. As I fill out the date, I mentally say “Wed-nes-day” while writing “Wednesday.”  I formed that habit back in elementary school, but I just cannot seem to shake it. As I begin to take the test, and look around at the shocked and defeated faces of my classmates (nobody understands the immune system), I begin filling in the Scantron. I feel pretty confident, but I begin getting paranoid when I notice patterns on the multiple choice test, so I fill in a C, since I have not seen one of those in a while. After that train-wreck of an exam, I walk to meet my friends at the lunch table, spotting them from a distance. They all perk up and begin to wave at me and I enthusiastically begin to wave back at them. But, as I approach them, they call out to the person walking slightly behind me. “Oh right, you waved at the person behind me. My bad,” I think as I join them. I open my lunch bag and begin to chat. Stories told at the lunch table are the best! The bell rings and I continue on to my next class (pretty uneventful, like usual). Some of these teachers get off track and tell you stories about their lives, and I just love it! But, it just annoys me that they yell when I begin to pack up before the bell rings. Seriously, I don’t care. This class ends in 30 seconds. I will pack up. Once I survive English class and the day ends, I head to my job at Math Monkey. I generally enjoy the students, but some of the parents hover and obsess over their children so much, they should just leash them so they will never leave their sight. I may appear biased though, since I find it so entertaining when people have their kids on those monkey leashes. I return home, eat dinner, and finish my homework. As I begin to prepare for bed, I check behind the shower curtain for murderers when I go into the bathroom, and finding none, I brush my teeth and go to bed. But not before reading through the pages I liked on Facebook in Middle School and regretting my choices. Although, who would actually look at those, anyway? 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I do not know why my comment got deleted, so here it is again. Meghan/Mairin, I can totally relate to finding random "liked" pages on my Facebook. I recently went through my "likes" when I started looking for a roommate for college and I found a bunch of pages I never remember liking. I did unlike the majority of them, but it definitely amused me to see what I thought deserved a "like" way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan, I really enjoyed the way you incorporated Facebook likes into your blog. I too get a laugh when a random post about sour patch kids pops up in my newsfeed. I also think that you successfully captured some elements of mairin's personality through her past interests, such as her love for 'throwback' music. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Touché, Meghan. I'd like to applaud you for both making me LOL, and reminding me of my eighth grade years that I had so strongly tried to forget. I wish I knew what ran through my mind when I embarked on this "liking" rampage. I mean, "I like watching raindrops race across my window as I silently cheer for them" ? Really? Why? What a dweeb. Clearly you thought so too - the sarcastic exclamation points said it all. I'd like to emphasize the point that I have changed, a LOT, since eighth grade. However, I will admit that I still "check behind the shower curtain for murderers when I go into the bathroom," and to this day, have found none! Knock on wood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your innovative incorporation of Mairin's Facebook likes, so clever! My friend recently brought back many of my freshman year Facebook statuses, so I can definitely relate to the embarrassment caused by our past, social-network-obsessed selves. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete