Translate

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Musings from the Best Western


Writing live from the Best Western “Envy” Hotel in Baltimore. Future classmates, I may in fact meet some of you today at an admitted student’s day. So, I would like to inform you that certain aspects of this sub-par hotel room do reflect my character. As I sit here, on my bed, I face the closet which has a cracked mirror on its doors. Like this mirror, I do have flaws—I may overreact, I may appear uptight—as everyone does. Some try to hide their flaws from others, but I acknowledge them, just as the Best Western does not cover the cracks in the mirror, so others may fully understand my character and accept me, not just a façade of perfection. But, if flaws fear you, you could always hide behind the bathroom door in this hotel room, which has four locks and could serve as the vault door in a bank. An admitted introvert, I enjoy solitude, and may close myself off from others. Therefore, if I do not wish to share my feelings or if I spend a lot of time alone, you should not take this as an insult. But, as I often need to remind myself in English class, introversion does not excuse me from participation in class and sharing, and I will continue to try to improve myself in this aspect over the next four years. On another note, the lighting in this hotel room simply intrigues me, especially as I tried to sleep last night. The main light flashed like a strobe-light all night (not an exaggeration). The other light fixture flashed different colors of the rainbow. Like the main light, my synapses fire constantly, and I love to learn. I understand and acknowledge that many of you will dominate me in intelligence, but I too, love learning and will work incredibly hard at college. Do not count me out. Similar to the rainbow light fixture, I accept different nationalities and cultures and respect them. College will open my eyes and introduce me to many new, diverse students, and I look forward to learning from those who do not come from the same background as I. Now, let me acknowledge one last aspect of this reduced-rate room: the bus stop in front of the hotel that the lady at the front desk reminded us “was the city’s fault, not the Best Western’s.” I love to see new places and travel, as does the bus, as it made a stop below our window about every half-hour through the night.  If you live in an interesting place, I will join you for Spring Break visits to your home. After reading this, you may ask me why my family willingly booked and signed up for the strobe-lights, rainbow light fixtures, cracked mirrors, and vault doors at the “Envy” hotel. Well, it cost $80 a night for AAA members, and we refuse to spend money. No need to envy that. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the view you took and I think that the fact you wrote from a college visit makes it all the better. This essay proves extremely observant. Finally, I like that you spoke about the flaws that they will find whether you want them to or not--none of which seem that bad. Well done!

    ReplyDelete